SNC wishes to ensure that everyone who appears before the Authority is able to make a meaningful contribution and is given a fair hearing before the Authority, its Board or Committees. Those wishing to present themselves as a delegate should be aware that:
- The request to present a delegation shall be made in writing to the General Manager/Secretary-Treasurer of the Authority at least ten (10) calendar days in advance of the scheduled meeting at which the person or organization wishes to speak.
- The General Manager/Secretary-Treasurer shall advise the organization or individual whether they are listed on the meeting agenda and the appropriates of their presentation and materials no later than two (2) days before the scheduled meeting.
- A maximum of two (2) delegations shall be permitted at any regular meeting of the Authority and delegations shall be limited to one (1) speaker whose presentation may not exceed ten (10) minutes.
It is useful for Authority Members to have as much information as possible from an individual or group who wishes to be a delegation. Delegation requests must be made in writing to the General Manager/Secretary-Treasurer of the Authority at least ten (10) calendar days in advance of the scheduled meeting and include the following information:
- the name of the individual who will be speaking;
- the name of the organization the individual will be speaking on behalf of;
- a written summary of the issue;
- a written statement identifying the organization’s position on the issue; and
- any presentation material the speaker wishes to rely on.
Some of the questions that are frequently asked by Members of the Authority are:
- How many people are represented by your organization? How long has the organization existed?
- Has the organization approached other public bodies with respect to the issue? Has the organization held public meetings to discuss the issue? Is the organization open to the public?
- Has the organization approached staff of South Nation Conservation (SNC) to try to resolve the issue? Has the organization or individual approached local members of a Municipal Council for assistance in this matter?
The Authority Members usually have the benefit of a staff report on the issue, but it is always helpful to have supporting facts or other information from the delegation.
Additional information on delegations is available in SNC's Administrative By-laws.